click me!!

Wednesday 22 April 2009

the eeeks... and the ahh...

Studying biology helps. At least the terminologies of the different parts of the respiratory system do not sound like Greek and I am able to appreciate the mechanism of the organs. :)   Also, I am not capable of emitting squirmy sounds when being shown images of the various human organs.  My take on this is – these are organs found in your body, just that these are not visible to your eyes (which is too, one of the many organs of your body) since they are well embedded within the body, so why the “eeeeeks” when you are viewing a clip of how they work , for example the vocal folds ?

I was in a room whereby the median age should be 20+ or I reckon the youngest in the room should be at least in secondary school (i.e. not kids!) And these are not the reproductive organs – whereby I reckon some will find the pictorial views of these being offensive (but still, these are just human organs,  (so why the discrimination?) like skin and limbs.. why doesn’t one scream when one sees someone waving his hand at you?)  I can understand people being squirmy when viewing bloody scenes (myself included) but eh, viewing a clip of how the vocal folds work (video taken probably by a scope cam) whereby no blood is involved, does it warrant such an overwhelming response of “eeeeeks”?   Or maybe they found the vocal folds bear resemblance to some other organs?? oh dear, what's the problem?

Or maybe, it is just a case of “suakuism”. Gosh, I am sounding like an elitist..

Hmm, it is indeed an enriching lesson last nite of the oldest instrument of the human body - our voice..

No comments: