click me!!

Friday 10 July 2009

Newton's Laws

Alright, I may not look like a Science student.., yep, despite of the fact I do hold a bac (acc), I only encountered accounting in year one ntu. oh yeah, was a science student until I decided I did not want to study engineering after jc ( my silly combi in jc being maths c, further maths, econs and physics). Physics being my least favourite subject of the three sciences (biology, chemistry and physics), was something that I don't really grasp. Alright, I appreciate the fact that the mechanisms of most of the day-to-day stuff involves physics laws (just that what makes the door open..) but that's not gonna make my day.

What stuck in my mind was the three laws of motion and in someways, the laws is applicable not just to the motion of objects.. but evident in other aspects of our daily lives.


Newton's first law ~  aka the law of inertia
Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

Yep, this law somewhat reminds me of my life... I was enjoying the easy pace of life (of doing nothing out of the comfort zone) until A Voice spoke..

Time to break away from the inertia.. :)



Newton's second law ~ F= M*A
The relationship between an object's mass m, its acceleration a, and the applied force F is F = ma. Acceleration and force are vectors; in this law the direction of the force vector is the same as the direction of the acceleration vector.

Sorta related to the above. The greater the encounter with God, the greater the impact it will have on your life - the more your life will move towards that very purpose in life.


Newton's third law
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. 

This law always come to mind when I am alighting the MRT. The typical scene when a train approach. Throngs of bodies form a line of defense in front of the door - as if to block the commuters who wanted to alight. A person with sane mind will know that in order to put more things into a stuffed box, you will have to take out some of the existing stuff in the box in order to put some other things inside the box.

Going by this line of reasoning, a good proportion of the commuters in singapore does not reason sanely. Else, why would they be blocking the doorway and thus preventing the alighting passengers from getting out of the train cabin that they are trying to get in. When does the 3rd law comes in? When one is getting out of the train. As the law states, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. So when the kiasu passengers (who rushed in with the mentality to snatch seats) the moment the door opened - one can't fault the alighting passengers if on the way out, pushes themselves against the flow of boarding passengers who decided to push while they rushed in. So.. this is when the ungracious attitude was unrevealed. Sigh, it is BAD to the extent that the authorities gotta paste ads (with the famous TV character, Phua Chu Kang) to remind commuters to give way to alighting passengers. Sigh.. so primitive.

On the other hand, this law defies what I did on Tues nite. As you know, I stepped on the "land mine" unknowingly, and that exploded in my face. My instant thought was the chain of colourful terms or the array of spiky, thorny verbal ammunition I could have spout out (in accordance to the third law) as a natural reflex to return fire. But the other voice within won and allowed the cordial non-abusive exchange of words with the acidic fumes from the other camp. *though once the other camp vanish.. oh yeah, i heave a sigh of relief and let out that expletive word under my breath - in only a few decibel loud. - so audible audience - God and me. Alright, I won't fingerpoint but hey, its darn unfair to add unrelated stuff (though it may have pivatol effect to the tipping point). As the Chinese saying goes "指桑骂槐”- that's the idiom that ran through my head throughout the 15-20 minutes. But thank God for self-control .. but I won't be that silly to create a scene in public. Oh well, I did give a eye-witness account to the higher authorities - accountability.

Lessons learnt
- Mt 7:6 *not in that harsh manner but in the same line of explanation, when one can't/ don't comprehend, pointless to do highlight the fact.*
- maturity may not be positively correlated with age.
- innocence is not a virtue. Virtue is innocence tested.

No comments: