click me!!

Thursday 22 April 2010

That

Perhaps she viewed it as going the extra mile. But sometimes, doing too much is not always the best..
The admin secretary has deemed the amended draft reply for her big boss (aka my gm) to be to messy for her to review, and hence instructed the one who originate the draft reply (poor me) to reproduce a clean draft with the necessary amendments by my two reviewers. I have not qualms of doing the amendments since it is my case. 
Not too sure why she decided to vet through the revised version to the additional amendments (perhaps she thought of vetting it in view of any typo error - perhaps she view herself more superior in terms of typing skill, then why can't she do the clean draft if she can't trust the others' typing ability.) Was darned peeved by her harping on why did I add an additional 'that' to one of the sentence - The original letter wasn't with me - how would i know whether or not it was added by one of the reviewers?. What added to the fire was her remarks that 'you have made some other amendments to, so just like to confirm if this 'that' should be in the sentence?' The disruption from a discussion due to this big hoo-ha over an extra 'that' which was not in the original sentence that was amended by the reviewer is a sure fire starter. Explained to her that I did not add any additional details without the prior consultation with the reviewer (uhm she actually does not have the authority to question my work..), and as for the additional 'that' is not there in the amended sentence, fine, I will reprint the draft again and she can hand it to the boss. She mentioned it's alright and she can cancel the word for me. (No problem with that.. Perhaps extra credit for her to let boss know she actually vet the typing when it's not within her duty..). She added, she will check with my reviewer on the essentially to have the word 'that' within the sentence. (Alright, if that makes her happy.)
Original amended sentence "Notwithstanding the objection lodged, please ensure sufficient fund is maintained in the designated bank account for GIRO deduction on the stipulated dates according to the GIRO Instalment Deduction Plan dated 7 April 2010. ".
Since I was typing with understanding (and not just being a typist), I tend to type with the sentence forming within my head. and hence this was what I'd typed "Notwithstanding the objection lodged, please ensure that sufficient fund is maintained in the designated bank account for GIRO deduction on the stipulated dates according to the GIRO Instalment Deduction Plan dated 7 April 2010. ". 
I guess i wanted to emphasise on the importance of having sufficient fund in the bank account and hence, subconsciously added an extra 'that'.  Having said that, there isn't much of a purpose of that 'that' there but it won't alter the meaning of that sentence with the 'offending' extra 'that' in it. 
three letters would be sufficient to express my initial reaction towards that big hoo-ha over one extra word. 
Then I saw this by my phone...
Wanted to justify my grammar ain't that horrendous and hence googled on the use of 'THAT'. Felt more appeased that it was not wrong grammatically to have 'that' in the sentence.( "when to use 'that'")

Oh well, she has the good intention of doing the EXTRA . Just that her extra efforts aren't always appreciated but others. But I guess it's her questioning tone (when she does not have the authority to do so) downplay her good intentions.

Okie.. be cheerful. Will visit CHEERS later during lunch then. Lame (*.*")

No comments: