click me!!

Monday 16 March 2009

Personal space

I dislike being squashed up in the train, I dislike the person sitting next to me in the train having any physical contact with me.  And it certainly peeved me off when the person standing behind me (be it male of female) rubbed their butt against mine in the sardine packed train.. Yep, I dislike being cooped up in small spaces with throngs of people.. I think my requirement for personal space increase with age....yep, I value my personal space.


Googled on this topic. According to Wikipedia, those who live in a densely populated environment tend to have smaller personal space requirement. (Ops, and I thought SG is grossly densely-populated? It's ranked #2 in human population density in the world with 6,336 people /square km "  and "personal space can be  heavily affected by a person's position in society, with the more affluent a person being the larger personal space they demand".. (okie, so i suppose I've got the same mindset of the affluent since realistically, I ain't affluent now..)

Yesterday, joined my cg after service. And I felt very intruded ("molest" is too strong a word to use, but I really don't welcome the idea of my personal space being infringed by strangers/acquaintance) by one of the chinese gal who joined us recently. I am really not used to over-friendliness and certainly not at the expense of me being intimidated. I guessed she was pretty much "impressed" by my outfit/ make-up that she was like fluttering around me. Thanks for your compliment, but I'm not a mannequin in the departmental store, must you TUG at my top??? And finger with my necklace?? I am certainly VERY uncomfortable with the distance in between us when we converse (for the record, she was standing so close to me that my focal point was out!). So, yep, the personal space is regardless of gender.. I think it's the relationship thingy.. cuz according to the psychwiki "an encroachment on one’s personal space often leads to aversive effects. Because it serves a protective function, one may develop a dislike for the intruder, perform poorly on a given task, or experience negative emotions, such as aggression, hostility, or feelings of being violated".

Strange enough, one of my love language is physical touch. BUT applicable only to love ones and close friends.  And perhaps, it's their in their culture to be that up close and personal (see link ) but sorry, I ain't from that land!

No comments: