click me!!

Monday 12 January 2009

Honour

This morning, I was greeted by a friendly smile from the SBS bus captain and a chirpy good morning.. (And some mornings, when I boarded bus 17, the very friendly bus captain will always greet you when you board & alight the bus.. isn't that a great way to start a day?) But I noticed, apart from me and a few who returned her smile, the rest of the commuters, some pluigged into their music devices, walked passed her.. Despite what vocation they are serving, one oughta respect one another... Being in the service industry doesn't make them lower than you are.. even if they are serving you...

A couple weeks ago, one of my cg member raised this question, "Why must I know who the other pastors/ leaders are?". I was shocked at this question.. Perhaps, this has not cross my mind, or perhaps, it was inculcated since young to respect others and give due respect to those in authority. I drew an analogy that she would probably know those who are senior management in her company. Once again, I was (un)pleassantly surprised that she only know her direct boss and the big boss.. To her, it's not important.. And she was not convinced that the least we could do to honour our leaders is to greet them.. not too sure if she is bothered to find out who the other pastors in the church are.. (I don't blame her not knowing the leaders in the zone since there are so many of them... but at least the leaders rite, cuz these are ministers of God..) Well.. I know she is convinced by the message this afternoon.. :o (for the record, she ain't a new friend, or new believer...)

Oh well, I guessed I belonged to the generation in which the education encourages us not to challenged the norm.. or simply obey.. but then again, it makes perfect sense to respect the authority as well as those who are "under" you..  Perhaps, this thinking makes it easier to digest the biblical principle of giving honor to the leaders that God has placed over your life (whether you like them or not..) And yes, greeting them whether they know you personally or not is the least you could do..


Question: How often that we have treated those around us with less respect that they deserved?

People, be it those who have authority over you, or your peers, or those serving you. are all God's creation.. And all of them are important in their eyes..

sigh.. I repent against the disdain I show towards those who oozes pungent smell (those who are not that sensitive in the nose or simply bo-chup) and those who talk in decibel levels that you can hear them despite wearing the inner ear types of earpiece..

No comments: