click me!!

Friday 2 January 2009

Aftermath of events in December....

It’s now the 2nd day into 2009. Nope, I haven’t managed to sit down to do embark on goal setting yet. But don’t think I would procrastinate for too long. (But I won’t be as stubborn as last year as to waste the whole year away – in the wake of the juvenile reaction to the long vacation.)

It was hectic hectic from Mid December 08 to the very last day of December, cuz it was my SUPER peak period. Yet silly me decided to volunteer for the Christmas drama, not expecting serious dance moves (oh well, some peeps feel that my moves aren't BIG enough for the stage and too stiff - and tried to "help" by singling you out to openly correct even @ the last moment - despite the fact that there were some who made the wrong moves, yet went undetected.. - double standard?) Was working OT every nite after Christmas day cuz i was "ordered" to take leave despite highlighting the fact that I've only half a day leave left and it's super busy period for me (my turnover time for each case is 48 hours lo - cuz the auditor set the deadlines for the accounts to be at 2 Jan, hence tax provisions should be in asap... ) - (which I'd informed the i/c immediately upon receipt of the rehearsal schedules - which she did not request to try taking leave - hence it is reasonable to take it that it's alright for me to turn up after lunch time for both 23rd & 24th ( cuz I'll need to take two days leave - which I only have one day - to be around for the full run AND I'm not required at jw and hence, i'd initially applied for leave on 23 am only. AND it's super busy period and it's not good to inconvenience others to cover you on urgent stuff when it's up to the neck with work for everyone...) YET there are working adults who were allowed to appear in the afternoon both 23rd & 24th. Double-double standard? Or simply because they bo-chup? I don't know.. but peeved indeed I'm over the inconsistency of the treatment... Cuz the i/c texted me this "Can you take unpaid leave for the two days as all will be required at the full run.. if not you might be taken out.." UNPAID leave? And it's like LAST minute unpaid leave during SUPER PEAK period... Man, why don't you just ask me to resign? Question: if you are the boss and your employee asked you for unpaid leave (because you're required to attend rehearsals when your company is facing tight deadlines and manpower shortage.. how would you rate him/her...) Yet, despite telling her my situation (that my boss won't be happy about me taking leave in midst of peak period and i don't have leave already - paid leave or unpaid leave, any boss won't be happy when u are missing during peak period... - ) she texted me to try asking my boss.. And I'm am darned peeved at how understanding this person is. To cut the story short, (and thank God for the favour of man) GM allowed me to take an advance leave after consulting my two Senior managers on the status of work progress... BUT.. upon realisation that two to three peeps appear after lunch time/ and evening time (!!) on 23rd and on the actual day itself... (cuz they were working) how fair do you rate the incident? Frankly, i regreted being so guai to ask for the favour, cuz in turn, the time there was spent (kinda in vain)... don't get me wrong, if I'm not that tied up with work, i don't mind be there the whole day when required.. but since you can make an exception for those working peeps, why not me when i have more than vaild reason and yet you request me to take unpaid leave in BUSY period (come to think of it, i should have just make my stand and at most forgo the drama lo..)

Oh well, can't really fault her since she ain't really in the workforce and doesn't understand the mechanism behind. Btw in some organisation, taking unpaid leave = pro-ration of your bonus & leave entitlement in the year which the unpaid leave was taken... And taking urgent leave for not life and death matter - how well does it reflect on your performance??

I understand that your strictness was due to the fact that many were missing (10 out of 30+) on the sunday rehearsal... There were only four more days to the actual day and some were missing due to not-so-urgent reasons and to some, that was only their first time attending the rehearsal!! Hence, director was obviously not pleased with the attitude of the choir angels.. (cuz missing of mass peeps meant plotting of position - mission not very possible).. and the clowning around at the wrong time and wrong place adds to the displeasure that some of the dramatists (ie. those in drama) have shown towards the "choir angels"... oh well.. truly, the uncalled for behavior has earned a not very good reputation for the choir... Perhaps, they were unaware of it? Sigh.. there's a time & season for everything...

Man ain't perfect but then again, you could try to be fair... at least show consistency in decision making .... oh well... all in all.. this will be the last time I'll be involved.. but as i was walking out of the hall after the last performance on 25th, the many hands I saw in the air that responded to the altar call... i know it's worth it all... :)

What I took away from this christmas:
  • catching up with lovely gals like jolene, sheena and mandy.. :). At least I get to spend the christmas eve before the first service (at the expenses of taking leave) chilling away from 11+ to 4pm @ TM.. Luxury right?? :)
  • an opportunity to observe what lies beneath... what you see might not be what you get.... and i rest my peace...

No comments: