click me!!

Thursday 30 December 2010

Silly Questions

Am in the midst of the crazy period (of vetting the tax provisions after the companies' have closed off their accounts for the year and reverting to them asap as the auditors need our confirmation..), and I'm certainly not in the mood to entertain silly questions from the clients... (aka the finance pple from our subsidiaries/ related companies)

To qoute  a few.. (words in bracket aren't audible..)

1.       BLUR ACCOUNTANT ('BA'): How did you get the brought forward figure?

A: (Dude), it's (exactly) the figure that was carry forward from last year end. And you have to look at the computation from previous year.

BA: Is it?

 

[Comments:: Doh, balance carried forward from 31/12/2009 = opening balance as at 01/01/2010= balance brought forward. I thought that was accounting 101. And this person is supposedly an accountant, not account assistant! ]

                                                              

BA: I don't understand how you arrive at the capital allowance for this year?

Me:  (explained to her it was computed on an accelerated basis due to the Budget changes for 2009) And we have highlighted this in our memo sent to you.

BA: Is it?

 

[comments:: Doh, did you guys read instructions?]

 

2.       Client's BLUR acc asst ('BAA'): Your figures are wrong!  The sum total should be 66 and not 108!

Me: (Punching in the figures ): 12+34-(-21)+41=108 .

BAA: No, that is not the total. I computed based on the formula on the form. The formula is wrong ah?

Me: The printed formula is correct. Line 21+Line 34-Line 45+Line 58. This is what I've told you.

BAA : No. I entered the figures into the form (soft copy excel spreadsheet) and the calculated total is not 108.

Me: Can you calculate with your calculator?

BAA: Eh, now I get 108. So the formula is wrong?

Me: The formulae printed on the form is correct, but I'm not certain of the excel formula.

BAA: but I've to key in the figures, so how? I have to change the formula?...

 

[Comments:: This is so silly, dOh, I don't have the soft copy of your worksheet. How would I know if it's correct or wrong? And there is always the calculator for you to manually punch in to check on the figures if you suspect there is an error. Don't it reflect VERY badly on you to question the validity before conducting your own due diligence.]

 

Gosh.. Irritant!

Which explains why teaching is not a career option for me. My lifespan will reduce by half and the bp will rise. Okay these are wick trimmers trying to train my patience..

 

But hey, you guys are the pro – the accountants or the accounting personnel while I'm just the tax person. Why do you ask me elementary accounting stuff and silly questions that has already been conveyed to you!!!

 

URRRGGG!!!

 


No comments: